From the Northern Firearms Instruction Website:
Join Northern Firearms Instruction and the National Wild Turkey Federation for this yearly event matching youth in our community with the outdoors in that most wonderful time of the year—-SPRING TURKEY SEASON.
This is a free program developed to introduce families to the outdoor world through turkey hunting. It costs nothing to apply.
ATTENTION: Hunters and Hunt Leaders in this program have mandatory training and meeting dates. Please be mindful of these dates when you apply. If a hunter is selected and cannot make the mandated events, they will be dropped from the program. This means we will have one less junior hunter in the woods this year as we can not add hunters after the program starts.
Program Participant Mandatory Dates:
- 2-18- 2018, 1-5 PM, MANDATORY Turkey Hunter Skills Clinic and Shotgun Training, Redding Gun Club. 21777 Seven lakes Ln, Redding, CA 96003. Mandatory training for this program.
- 3-24-2018, Junior Spring Turkey Opener and Picnic at Anderson River Park. 5:00 AM (hunt starts) and 1-3 PM picnic. Bring your harvested Wild Turkey for a photo and celebration.
- 3-30-2018, 6:00 PM, Project Banquet and awards ceremony Anderson Community Center 6-9 PM. Join the team as we celebrate another successful year with dinner, gun raffles, games, prizes, and a turkey calling contest!
Register here for the opportunity to accompany one of our expert turkey hunters onto a local hunting area to harvest a wild turkey.
Hunters will be drawn from applicants on 1-4-2018. Selected applicants will be notified within 7 days of their selection. Winners will be contacted by their volunteer (crazy, obsessed turkey hunter) and given a time and place for the 2-18-2018 mandatory training day. All selected hunter’s who miss this important safety training date will be dropped from the program. Hunters will bring their shotgun to the shotgun skills clinic and turkey hunting seminar on 2-18-2018.
Hunters must meet the following requirements:
- Age: 12-15 (no older than 15 years of age on 3-14-2018).
- Have a shotgun capable of harvesting a wild turkey. Generally this will be a magnum load with 4,5, or 6 shot.
- Have the marksmanship skills to use as shotgun with enough effectiveness to harvest a wild turkey.
- Have a California State Hunting License and Upland Game Bird Stamp if needed.
- Have a parent or guardian (18 years of age) to accompany the junior hunter on their adventure.
Hunters and Hunt Leaders must be NWTF Members for the year 2018. Neither need to be a member to be selected. Program Participants must have a membership prior to hunting due to insurance requirements.
The Turkey Hunter Skills Clinic will be 2-18-2018. This will consist of a turkey hunting seminar and a shotgun safety clinic at the Redding Gun Club from 9:00AM-1:00 PM. THIS IS A MANDATORY EVENT FOR ALL HUNTERS AND HUNT LEADERS. BBQ Lunch will be served at no cost.
The next event will be the California Junior Spring Turkey Season Opening Day. On 3-24-2018 each hunter and hunt leader will meet at a pre-designated site to attempt to harvest a spring wild turkey. On this date we will meet at 1:00 PM at the Anderson River Park (Kimberly Clark Grove) for a celebratory picnic and to take photos to commemorate our good fortune on this day.
The program ends on 3-30-2018 with a banquet including gun raffles, BBQ, turkey calling contest, and much more–all paid for with community donations. The Banquet will be held at the Anderson Community Center at 6:00 PM. Free gun raffles include: A male and female junior hunter gun, a land-owner gun, and a hunt leader gun. Please join us for this great event.
For more information call Ted Lidie at (530)-999-1822, or Mike Dill at (530)-515-3993